LL-L "Language contacts" (was "Etymology") 2002.04.26 (09) [E/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 22:02:09 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.APR.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Aviad Stier" <aviad2001 at hotmail.com>
Subject: etymology

Ron/Reinhard:
Actually, I am wondering if _yeke_ is a loan from Eastern Yiddish rather
than from German.  It *is* used in Eastern Yiddish, and I have a feeling
that originally it just meant 'German Jew,' which is also the only
meaning Weinreich gives in his dictionary.

Oh, yes. I'm pretty sure it got into Hebrew from Eastern Yiddish, and
should
have been more specific about that. The origins of the word are quite
mysterious, though, and I heard several theories, mostly implausible.
The
Geck/Jeck/Jekke theory is the only one that sounds likely, especially if
you
consider that Yiddish probably started in central "Ashkenaz" - that is,
around the Rhine river. Speaking of which, i was positively surprised to
hear about that "rumour" of Western Yiddish still spoken in Alsace. Do
you
know anything more about that? Can you refer me to any sources on the
web?

"Could it not be that _yeke_ (plural _yekes_) was chosen because it was
used in Western Yiddish a lot, where Easterners would use _nar_ (which,
interestingly, is one of the few Germanic words that has a Hebrew plural
form: _naronim_, cf. German _Narr_ > _Narren_)?"

Could very well be, I think, but it's just as possible that it got into
Eastern Yiddish at an early stage, alongside with "nar", and was
gradually
dissimilated into the derogatory meaning it has today.
Aviad Stier