LL-L "Customs" 2002.04.27 (04) [E/Danish]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 27 23:12:37 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.APR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ole Stig Andersen <osa at olestig.dk>
Subject: Geek

Kevin Browne (if I remember correctly) asked  about "geek" etc in
Danish.

The word is "gæk", from Plattysk, of course.
([æ] is ae-ligature which some mailreaders don't reproduce correctly)

There is this beautiful flower, "vintergæk" (snowdrop) that rises its
delicate white bell over the snow when winter is receding. When I was a
child, my mother taught me to make "gækkebreve".  A gækkebrev is a
paperclip letter (it can be very intricate scissor-work), which has one
or two vintergækker attached to it in some way, and the following poem:

En vintergæk, en sommernar, en fugl foruden vinger.
En lille ven som har dig kær, en kærlig hilsen bringer.
Mit navn det står med prikker. Pas på det ikke stikker!

[A snowdrop, a summergeek, a bird without wings.
A little friend who has you dear, a loving greeting brings.
My name it stands with dots. Beware it doesn't sting.]
Signed   . . .

You send your gækkebrev to friends and family some time before Easter,
and
if the recipient hasn't guessed your name by Easter, s/he must give you
an
Easter Egg (of chocolate).

There are of course numerous variants of this. An incidental website
among
numerous with some gækkebrev-poems and some paperclip patterns is
http://www.oelsted.dk/Paaske/Gaekkeindex.htm

Besides being the unrivalled master of the Danish language, Hans
Christian
Andersen was also very good at paperclippings and silhouettes and a
number
of his gækkebreve still survives. Every spring The Danish Postal
Services
sell a new Gækkebrev designed by a different artist.

There is an archaic feel to the word. I think the verb "gække" (to dupe)
is
obsolete. One of the characters in Batman, the Jester (?), was
translated
"Gækkeren" , though.

And there are two derived fossil expressions still alive:

at drive gæk med én - [drive geek with one] - to pull someone's leg
at slå gækken løs - [let the geek loose] - to make merry

Finally there are two other words/meanings of "gæk":

- the cackle geese make (obsolete)
- the tumbler of a lock (technical jargon or archaic)

Ole Stig Andersen
http://www.olestig.dk