LL-L "Grammar" 2002.04.29 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 19:45:40 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.28 (05) [E]

Whenever I hear or see someone using a plural verb with a collective
noun, I feel like I should be correcting them, although it's usually on
television
or in a book, so I can't really do that.  I was taught in grammar in
grade 7 (and probably before that too, but I don't remember anything
that I was
taught about grammar before grade 7), that collective nouns were
singular
nouns with plural meaning.  This implied to me that, grammatically
speaking, they should have singular verbs.

Could the tendancy towards the exclusive use of the plural be another
example of people tending towards one usage as a misunderstanding of the
'rule', similar to the use of the subject pronoun 'I' when used in
conjuction with another noun or pronoun, regardless of the role of the
pronoun in the sentance?  Ie. People hear collective nouns used with
plural
verbs in some instances, and, because of the plural character of the
nouns,
they assume that plural verbs should be used in all cases.

However, although this is a different point, when certain words like
'bunch'
and 'group', which, I think, are collective nouns, are used followed by
'of
+ pl. noun', the use of a plural verb sounds normal and this is what I
hear
most often, despite the fact that, in omitting the 'of' phrase, a
singular
verb is required.  So, for example, 'A group of students _are_
protesting a
tuition increase', but 'A group _is_ protesting'.  A probable
explaination
for this is the plural nature of words such as 'bunch' and 'group', even
though they are grammatically singular, joined with a phrase containing
plural noun makes the subject look grammatically plural.  But what do I
know?  I'm just a mathgeek with no linguistic training, unless you count
the grammar lessons from school.