LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 29 19:41:48 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.APR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.28 (04) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Language varieties
>
>Thus, though her supposed local accent might be a poor imitation, the
>lexical and idiomatic adaptation of the Daphne Moon character in
>"Frasier" (Elaine being in the "Seinfeld Show," I believe) seems
>perfectly convincing to me.

Just for the sake of clarification, is Daphne Moon's(or Jane Leeves')
accent
an authentic 'British' accent, or is it another attempt at immitation by
an
American actor.  I recall a few episodes of the show where she tries to
immitate an American accent, which I didn't think sounded quite
American.
Is this what you mean by 'her supposed local accent', or is the supposed
local accent the British one?

----------

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>

Once again, as the differences between British English and American
English
usage and lexicon are pointed out, I (maybe somewhat naively)feel that
Canadian English, or at least 'Southern Ontario English', lies somewhere
in
between the two, or is a mixture of the two.  As you compare the two
below,
in about half the cases, the examples of British English are understood,
or
coincide with familiar usage, and the same is true of American usage for
the other half.  There are some cases, such as lift/ride (though not
lift/elevator), or tap/faucet where neither seems any more 'normal' than
the other.

In elementary school, the terms 'rubber' and 'eraser' could be used
interchangeably without any sexual connotations.  But at this time, even
the
Fox network didn't show condom commercials on tv (if I remember
correctly,
they were the first in USA to do thus), so perhaps the use of 'rubber'
as
slang for 'condom' was not so wide spread yet.  I'm sure that I still
hear
'rubber' used though, but not nearly as much.