LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.08.04 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 5 04:59:03 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.AUG.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: R. F. Hahn, Administrator <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

(1)
Last week I announced the new LL-L business address.  Sorry I did not
make this clearer, because a couple of you have misunderstood this as
meaning that that is the new address to which to send posting
submissions.  Please let me clarify:

Business address (to be used to *individually* contact me, *off the
List*, re LL-L business other than submitting postings):
                           admin at lowlands-l.net

Posting address (as before, see the masthead above):
                           lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org

Private (contacting me as a fellow Lowlander and hopefully friend):
                           rhahn at yahoo.com
Please make a note of this.

(2)
We could still do with some help (writing and translating) with our
current project of creating a series of "blurbs" (i.e., brief
introductory descriptions of the Lowlands language varieties).  Please
write to me (admin at lowlands-l.net) if you are interested.

(2)
Since my last Administativa issue just a few days ago we have been
joined by more people.  They come to us from the following places:*

Australia:
     Perth, Western Australia**
Netherlands:
     ?, ?
Scotland:
     Edinburgh, Lothian
South Africa:
     Secunda, Mpumalanga
United States of America:
     ?, ?

Welcome to all of them on behalf of the entire List (with 357 members as
of right now, risen from about 300 only a few weeks ago).

*  I do not announce new members' names.  It is up to them to introduce
   themselves in posting if they wish, or to be a lurker.

** It is personally gratifying to know that we now have two or three
   members in the greater Perth area of Western Australia, my old
   stomping ground, besides several people in the greater Seattle area,
   my current stomping ground, and of course lots of members in Hamburg
   and surrounding areas, my original stomping ground.

(3)
I encourage all subscribers to check our rules and guidelines, because
some of you still make basic mistakes in posting submissions.
   English: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm
   Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/regels.htm
   Limburgish: http://www.lowlands-l.net/regele.htm
   Lowlands Saxon: http://www.lowlands-l.net/regeln.htm

(2)
This coming Friday, August 8, I will undergo reconstructive surgery of
one of my eardrums ("tympanoplasty," I believe).  It is supposed to be
minor in my case (although any surgery is risky).  Sandy Fleming and
Mathieu van Woerkom have kindly agreed to take the steering wheel in my
absence, i.e., until the worst pain and the worst effects of the
medications have worn off.  (If you get a more than usually weird
message from me, please assume that I got away to the computer in a less
lucid state than usual.)

Although I pretty much expect my surgery to go well, and although in
most "typical" Lowlands cultures "soppiness" is not exactly condoned,
let me take this opportunity to inform you that these seven odd years of
LL-L have given me a great deal of joy that has more than made up for
all the work and the occasional (usually behind-the-scenes)
unpleasantness. I think of each one of you with genuine fondness, have
made real friends among you and thank all of you for the support,
loyalty, generosity and forebearance you have afforded me and, more
importantly, each other in this diverse, international gathering.

Fondly,