LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 5 14:56:42 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.AUG.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>

From: Mathieu.vanWoerkom at student.kun.nl
Subject: Limburgish

Three days ago, Gary Taylor wrote:

>> Another question (still under language varieties so I
>> can hopefully get away with it in the same mail).
>> Berlinisch has 'ik' but 'machen'. I think I'm right in
>> saying that Limburgish has 'ich' but 'maken'. Is this
>> too then regarded as a crossover area between Low and
>> Middle German or does it have a much stronger Lowlands
>> tradition?

Yes, Limburgish has indeed 'ich maak' for 'I make', and also:
- ouch (E. also. D. ook, G. auch)
- uch (E. you (dativ+accusativ plural), D. jullie, G. euch)
- mich & dich (E. me & you, D. mij & jou, G. mich & dich)

but:
- water (E. water, D. water, G. Wasser)
- det (E. that, D. dat, G. dass)
- op (E. up/on, D. op, G. auf)
- dörp (E. village, D. dorp, G. Dorf)
and:
- kirk (E. church, D. kerk, G. Kirche)
- eik (E. oak, D. eik, G. Eich)

So Limburgish is indeed a crossover area between Low and Middel German
(genealogical classification is Rhinelandic). The traditions in Limburg
are not
paticularly 'Lowlandic', but has/had a lot of Rhinelandic influences
(especially cities like Cologne and Aachen).
But, of course there are Lowlandic influences as well, if only for the
fact
that it has been under Dutch for a long time, that's why Limburgish is
part of
this discussion list!
Especially the growing power of Brabant had a great influence on
Limburg,
but
also Wallonie, a French speaking part of Belgium).

French influences on Limburgish language are for instance:
E.                L.                F.
fork              fersjèt           fourchette
okay              alleh             allez
groceries         kemissies         commissions
newspaper         gezèt             gazette
to remember       zich rappelere    se rappeler
cup               tas               tasse
shivering         sjoevering        chaud-froid

Regards,
Mathieu van Woerkom