LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.08.12 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 13 02:39:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

This afternoon, just after I sent out my latest administrative issue,
membership of Lowlands-L passed the 400 mark, standing at 401 as of
right now.  The persons who joined us most recently are in the following
locations:

United States of America:
   Georgia:
      Atlanta [1]
   Missouri:
      Joplin [1]
      Poplar Bluff [1]

I welcome you on behalf of the entire List, folks.

The rules and guidelines can be found here:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm

Especially during the past few weeks several newcomers have indicated
Appalachian as a specific interest.  I strongly suggest that they, or in
fact anyone, initiate discussing Appalachian-related topics (including
culture and history) or share with us information about it.  Also, I
know that many among us, especially non-Americans, would love to read
more postings about and in Appalachian and sample its rich, beautiful
culture.  Let's make sure that our own Father Andreas (a.k.a. Richard
Turner) ceases to be the lone Appalachian voice on this List!

This also applies to other Lowlands varieties that are rarely mentioned
here.  Yes, we do want to hear about them and appreciate them.  Please
do not wait for me or the other vocal members to initiate it.  It is up
to the individual subscriber, including those who so far have preferred
to lurk, to initiate the sharing process.

Lowlanders, please do not let feelings of modesty and insecurity stand
in the way of you sharing some of your heritage and interests, and
please remember that on this list no linguistic or cultural variety is
considered insignificant, and none is considered more important than
another.  No one and no one's language and culture will encounter
dismissal or ridicule in this circle, because one of our principles is
that we must meet in a place that lies beyond common perceptions and
prejudices.  One of the things this list is about is coming together.
In simple terms, imagine it like a family or clan reunion at which
everyone knows they are related but each member's uniqueness is
cherished, loved and celebrated in its own right.

We are currently working on a series of online introductions to the
various Lowlands language varieties, and I dare say it's going to be
nothing short of "spectacular."  Anyone who is interested in
participating (writing and/or translating) should contact me here:
sassisch at yahoo.com

Friendly regards,