LL-L "Language varities" 2002.08.12 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 12 23:33:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.02 (06) [E]

Ron wrote:

>I understand that the language varieties of the Orkney Islands are
>different from Shetlandic ones (and different from Mainland Scots ones).
>
>Questions:
>
>(1) Can any of you tell us just a bit more about it?
>
>(2) Is any of you able to translate our web welcome into Orcadian
>    or can persuade a non-subscriber to do so?

As a Shetlander, I have the same problem with Orcadian as I have heard
you, Ron, say you have with some Lowland languages - that is, I can
understand it easily, but I don't really have an 'inside' knowledge of
it, because to me it sounds like a mixture of Shetlandic and Mainland
Scots! On balance, it is much more like Shetlandic (and is grouped along
with it by linguists as 'Insular Scots') but I wouldn't attempt to speak
or write it.

>The best I've been able to find about it is the following:
>http://www.xrefer.com/entry/443227
>
>And of course references in our own Andy Eagle's works:
>http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/pronunci.htm
>
>I haven't found any online language samples.
>
>And who is willing to inform the author (sandystevenson at thefreesite.com)
>of the following page that "Scottish English" is not the same as
>"Scots"?

Which following page is that?

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk