LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.08.12 (03) [E/German]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 12 23:32:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.AUG.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: Jeff Volling <metalistgut at yahoo.de>
Subject: LL-L "Adminstrativa" 2002.08.11 (01) [E]

How do I come in contact with other members?
Vielleicht kannste mir ja helfen...kann ich platt
deutsche Stunden am Internet nehmen?  Wo?  Danke,
tschau,
Jeff

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Resources

Jeff,

There are two or three ways of networking to gain access to resources.

(1) You could wait and see which "active"* list members know something
about your area of interest and then send them private messages and ask
them for help and advice.  (*No, I cannot list all subscribers, because
everyone has the right to be a lurker and thus to remain anonymous, even
though anonymous subscription is not possible, as I had to tell three
would-be subscribers this morning.  Only the "owners" and "editors" have
access to all names and addresses, and we do not divulge them.)

(2) You could submit a posting with your request (as you have done) and
then hope to get responses on or off the List.

(3) You should check the archive
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html) to see if
your question has already been asked and answered.

(4) You could check our online resource guide (http://www.lowlands-l.net
> "Links" (also > "Offline Material") which has long lists of relevant resources.

Dear Lowlanders,

If it had not been for tree (short-term) subscribers leaving us this
morning, we would have reached the 400 mark today.

I suppose it is inevitable that we are often joined by people who are
only interested in one of the language varieties we deal with here, and
they tend to be disappointed when "other stuff" is being discussed.  In
other words, there will always be some who are not in the spirit of
"contacts" and "relationship" which are the most important aspects of
this list.  At one point I was going to suggest that we clarify this a
bit more at our website, but at second thought, it *is* clear, though
perhaps not to those who are on a mission and tune out whatever they
consider irrelevant.

However, I do agree that some language varieties have lately been
mentioned too rarely, and I encourage you to initiate discussions or
post information about them, also to use language varieties other than
English.

Today we have been joined by a few more, and they live in the following
places:

Austria:
   Vienna:
      Vienna [1]
Chile:
   Metropolitan Region:
      Santiago [1]
Denmark:
   Copenhagen:
      Copenhagen [1]
Netherlands:
   Limburg:
      Brunssum [1]
      Heerlen [1]
Russia:
   Moscow:
      Moscow [1]
United States of America:
   Florida:
      Sarasota [1]
   ? [1]

Welcome to all of them on behalf of the entire List.

Here, again, for their benefit and for the benefit of longer-standing
members who still do not get it right:

(1) All important addresses are listed in the masthead of each issue.

(2) If you wish to write to me on List business, please use this
address: admin at lowlands-l.net, and if you want to write to me privately,
please use this address: sassisch at yahoo.com (not to
rhahn at u.washington.edu).

As to what is and what is not proper on this list, please read the rules
and guidelines: http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm

With friendly regards,