LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.08.14 (02) [E/German]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 14 18:54:27 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.AUG.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.13 (08) [E]

Moin, moin leve Fruennen !

I have checked John's web-site and I noticed that the
word "forget" is "foryat" in Shetlandic, this sounds
very much the Dutch "vergeet", Frisian dialects have a
similar pronounciation. Is this pronounciation derived
from the Scottish mainland or is it due to other
influences ? I assume Norn would have been something
like Danish "gloemme", so it obviously is not of Norse
origion. People on the Faroes told me that Sudhuroy,
the most southern island of the Faroes, had a Frisian
influence and there is a legend that once a bishop was
murdered by one of the last pagans and this pagan was
referred to be a Frisian. Is there possible a Frisian
connection between Shetland and the Frisians as well ?

----------

From: "Matthew Davies" <supertaff7 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Interest in the revival of Cornish.

Hello all,
          As a new member, living in South Wales, I read with interest
Dan Prohaska's article, especially his interest in the revival of
Kernew,or Cornish.
My late grandfather was a Devonian (from Ilfracombe) and spoke the
dialect of that area, but his ancestors came from Brittany.
I remember him saying that a Welshman, Cornishman, and a Bretton,
speaking their native "tongues" , should be able to understand each
other.
Does anyone have any views or theories on this ?
As a Welsh speaker, I know that many of our words are very akin to some
Germanic and French words ;ie the word for "window" in Welsh is
"FFENESTR".
I am interested in the AFRIKAANS language, and would be greatful if
anyone
could point me in the right direction, as to date, have found only
limited
resources on the internet.
Best wishes to all....... Matt.(DAVIES)

----------

From: rlantz <yankel at shentel.net>
Subject: Appalachian

Ei, gude,  Ihr lieben Lowlanders!

Schon wieder krieche ich aus den Schatten heraus.  Ich habe in der
letzten
"Admisitrivia" posting die nette Einladung gelesen, wo Beitraege ueber
"Appalachian" Sprache und Kultur ersucht werden.  In dem Fach stehe ich
nicht total im Dunklen, da ich mitten im dem genannten Gebiet wohne.

Ich bin aber neugierig.  Deutsche Spracheinfluesze gibt's hier zwar in
rauhen Mengen, aber das, was ich bisher gehoert habe enthaelt weder
"dat"
noch "wat."  Appalachian Deutsch besteht eher aus Wortwendungen, und
gelegentlich einem Deutschen Wort, die in der Pflalz oder Rheinhessen
einheimisch sind.

Mit besten Grueszen aus dem heiszen Shenandoah-Tal,

Robert Lantz

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language contacts

Robert,

Certainly, German connections (apparently not Lowlands Saxon, "Low
German," ones) with Appalachia are interesting as long as they fall into
the "Lowlands" category.  (And I want to remind everyone to keep the
"Lowlands" focus in mind, to which German does not belong, unless there
is a definite Lowlands twist to it.)  However, what I had referred to,
and what apparently several new subscribers expressed an interest in, is
Appalachian per se, namely the language varieties based on various types
of English and Scots plus a number of other admixtures.

(from the equally hot Pacific Northwest)