LL-L "Resources" 2002.08.14 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 14 23:56:27 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.AUG.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>

From: Jack Driedger <jimdee at sasktel.net>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.08.13 (09) [E]

Ron has given you excellent sources. May personal interest and some
expertise is the earthy type of Plautdietsch spoken by the Old Colony
Mennonites of the Hague-Osler area in Saskatchewan, since I grew up in
that
area. I am learning to read and write that particular type of Low
German.
Jack Driedger, or if you wish, Driedjasch Jakop, friajoa fonn daut Darp
Bloomeheim, daut tweede Hüss fomm wastnen Enj

----------

From: Lumina5357 at aol.com
Subject: Friesland

Hello Everyone,
     My name is Darla Sterk.  My husband is Dutch, and is Freisan. I
started looking up things about Friesan's and ran onto this web site.  I
am
enjoying learning what I can and reading the posts.  I really would like
to learn Dutch and understand what is written to me.  Does anyone
know where I can find a translation dictionary from English - Dutch and
Dutch to English?  We live in Washington State.  My husbands
grandparents came over on the boat when they where small, he only knows
a few Dutch words so we would be interested in Friesland area.
That is where they where from.

Thank you
~Darla

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hi, Jack!  Great to see you on LL-L.

"Welkom," Darla from just across the Cascade Mountains.  (It's hot here
in Seattle today, so it must be really terrible over in Wenatchee right
now.)

Darla, please go to our homepage (http://www.lowlands-l.net/) and let
your cursor rest on "Resources" in the top panel.  If you click on
"Links" you will get to a choice of links pages, and among them is one
for Dutch.  You should start there.  You should also visit the "Offline
Material" guides and look for suitable Dutch learning materials.

To start with, you might like to use the "Learn Dutch" course
(http://www.learndutch.org/).  It is offerend on various levels.

The quickest way of finding online dictionaries is to visit the "your
dictionary" site (http://www.yourdictionary.com/) and look for "Dutch"
to find a selection.

If it is machine translation you wish to use, I would recommend
"foreignword.com" (http://www.foreignword.com/Tools/transnow.htm), which
includes Dutch (as well as Afrikaans, and many others).  However, please
bear in mind that machine-translated text tends to come out "weird,"
oftentimes even comically, if not embarrassingly so.

I assume you are aware of the fact that Dutch is used as a second,
national language by most Frisians in the Netherlands, and that Frisians
in that country have their own language: Frisian.  (Frisian is also used
in Germany.)  If you wish to find out more about that, please look for
Frisian information at our site.  If you need more information, all you
need to do is ask us, and there will be LL-L members who will be happy
to guide you.

Good luck!