LL-L "Folklore" 2002.08.17 (06) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 18 05:19:55 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.AUG.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>, Email: <admin at lowlands-l>

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Sandy,

Thanks for sharing the scary Scots lullabies!

> So now we have the "boo-man" with a "black pock" -
> and we see what the pock is for!
>
> Does anyone know any more about this kind of "bogle"?

I'm afraid I'm old enough to have been one of the children who were
still routinely "scared to sleep" in this manner.  The bogeyman with a
black bag/sack is an all too familiar figure, throughout Northern
Germany, apparently also in the south.

A female version is rare but not unknown, usually called something like
a "witch" that eats unruly children that don't go to sleep, perhaps a
cross-over from the East Frisian "Waalriedersch" tradition we discussed
a while back.

This bogeyman ~ bogle(man) ~ boogieman ~ bugbear ~ boo-man ... is called
_Bumann_ ['bu:ma.n] in Lowlands Saxon (Low German), in the eastern
dialects _Bulemann_ ['bu:lema.n], _Bullerlux_ ['bU.l3`lUks] or
_Bummeljan_ ['bU.ml=ja.n] ~ ['bU.ml=j@:n], in German _Butzemann_.

In many traditions, this fiendish guy will enter the house and take
unruly children away in his bag, usually a black bag, and the fiend
himself will sometimes be described as "black."  (Yeah, just lovely. I
know.)  Whatever happens to the children after they have been taken away
is usually up to their imagination, which is bad enough.

Now, this bag tends to be called _Sack_ [zak] (also in German), but in
some LS dialects it may also be referred to as ... yes, _Pock_ [pOk] ~
_Puck_ [pUk]!  Mostly, though, this latter word denotes a smaller bag, a
pouch.  I assume this corresponds to English _poke_ (as in "to buy a pig
in a poke" = "to get something without knowing what it is"), which
apparently comes from Old Northern French _pok(e)_ ~ _poque_, a cognate
of Old French _poche_ 'bag' > English _pouch_, and the diminutive
derivative _pocket_ (< Old French _poket(e)_).  It *is* interesting that
both Scots and Lowlands Saxon have this word as well as this tradition,
isn't it?

Before children came to be semi-permanently glued to TV sets, they would
play outside and would have various songs and games, including the
following German counting-out song, sung while children stand in a
circle and one of them plays the _Butzemann_, pretending to be throwing
and carrying a bag on his/her back:

   Es tanzt ein Bi-Ba-Butzemann
   in unserem Haus herum, didum.
   Es tanzt ein Bi-Ba-Butzemann
   in unserem Haus herum, didum.
   Er rüttelt sich. Er schüttelt sich.
   Er wirft sein Säckchen hinter sich.
   Es tanzt ein Bi-Ba-Butzemann
   in unserem Haus herum.

My (somewhat free) translation:

   A be-bah-bogeyman
   Is dancing in our house. Caboom!
   A be-bah-bogeyman
   Is dancing in our house. Caboom!
   He jolts and shakes. He bolts and quakes.
   He throws his bag onto his back.
   A be-bah-bogeyman
   Is dancing in our house.

In his _Vœr de Gœrn_ ("For the Kids"), a collection of traditional-based
and -sounding LS children's rhymes, Klaus Groth has humanized the
bogeyman as "Ol' Peter Kruse":

   Bußemann

   De ol Peter Kruse
   De hett en Karbuse,