LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.22 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 22 16:59:04 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.AUG.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.22 (02) [E]

What is remarkable to me is that most of the features
mentioned in that list for West-Vlaams correspond with
Low Saxon from Holsteen as well. We use "snakken" as
the common word for talking (as actually Dabish and
Norwegian does as well), drop in many occasions
innitial -n- as in 'goos', drop the -ge- in the past
tense of verbs as 'bleeven' (dat is wul naa-bleeven)
and have an -i- sound in positions similar as English
though this occurs when e.g. Hamborg-Low Saxon has an
-e- as in 'denken' we have an -i-, therefore we say
'dinken'. The -ue- as in 'bruegh' is retained as an
-ue-Umlaut. Another thing common between Holsteensch
and Vlaams in general is 'ni' for 'not' instead of
'niet or 'nich'. Going back to the -i-pronounciation
it would be interesting what the West-Flemish
pronounciation for 'denken' (thinking) is ?

Groeten

Helge