LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.22 (05) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 22 19:48:19 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.AUG.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at btinternet.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.22 (03) [E/S]

At 17:56 22/08/02, Ross Ahlfeld wrote:
> Greenock is an
>erroneous Anglicization of the town's original Scottish Gaelic name
>which
>was "Griann Chiannox" which should correctly translate as "Hill Of the
>Sun".

I'd be interested in knowing the source of this information. The letter
"x" is not used in Gaelic and, to my knowledge, never has been. The
name *might* have been "Grian-Chnoc" which does indeed mean "Sun-Hill".

(In current usage Greenock is usually referred to as "Grianaig", which
is best rendered as "little sunny place".)

Goodwill to all,

Colin Wilson.