LL-L "Nomads" 2002.08.27 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 27 23:56:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.AUG.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Nomads" 2002.08.23 (04) [E]

Ross wrote:

>For example, in both Scotland and Ireland there have always been
>"Tinkers"
>(A commonly used but derogatory term for Scottish and Irish Travelers
>relating to a time when most were tin smiths)
>It is thought that the Travelling Folk are descended from those who were
>displaced by the Potato Famine and the Highland Clearance. They may have
>also spoken a language which was a hybrid of Scots and Gaelic

In the North East of Scotland, tinker speech is basically Scots with a
strong substratum of Romany - for example, _keer_, a house, _barry_,
good, _shan_, bad, etc. In some places of Scotland, such as the borders,
Romany has had a noticeable influence on the local dialects, and some
words more widespread in Scots, such as _gadgie_ (fellow) are Romany. In
the North East, I suspect that the words _yarrie_ (egg) and _chaavie_
(child), neither of which are listed in the Concise Scots Dictionary,
are Romany.

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk