LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.28 (03) [D/A/E/LS/Z]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Wed Aug 28 15:53:52 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.AUG.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.27 (07) [D/E]

Dear all,

John Tait wrote:

> Unless the -aig is actually 'wick  - Norse vik,
> compare Shetland
> pronunciations eg: Sandwick as 'sannick' and
> Levenwick as 'Levenook' -
> hence the two local pronunciations of Lerwick as
> 'Lerrick' and 'Lerook'.

Scandinavian "vik" usually always materialised in
Highland and Island Gaelic toponyms as "uig" (Wick in
Gaelic is Uig). Any glance through the a Comhairle nan
Eilean map of the Western Isles will give you the full
gamut of Gaelicised Norse.

Tapadh libh

Criostoir.