LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.08.29 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 29 16:26:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.AUG.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <admin at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Since I last sent you an administrative report a week ago, we have been
joined by several new subscribers, and they come to us from the
following places:

     Australia:
        New South Wales:
           Sydney [1]
        Western Australia:
           Bicton [1]
     Austria:
        Vienna:
           Vienna [1]
     Canada:
        ? [2]
     Denmark:
        ? [1]
     Italy:
        Lazio:
           Rome [1]
     Japan:
        Saitama:
           Kawagoe [1]
     New Zealand:
        Wellington:
           Wellington City [1]
     Netherlands:
        Groningen:
           Groningen [1]
        Noord-Brabant:
           Hilvarenbeek [1]
        Zuid-Holland:
           Papendrecht [1]
        ? [1]
     Spain:
        Murcia:
           Santiago de la Ribera [1]
     Sweden:
        Scania:
           Malmö [1]
     United Kingdom:
        England:
           Hampshire (Hants):
              Emsworth [1]
           Norfolk:
              King's Lynn [1]
           West Midlands:
              Birmingham [1]
        Scotland:
           Lothian:
              Edinburgh [1]
     United States of America:
        California:
           Beale Airforce Base [1]
           Livermore [1]
           Pittsburg [1]
           Walnut Creek [1]
        Colorado:
           Boulder [1]
        Florida:
           Palatka [1]
        Georgia:
           Cusseta [1]
        Indiana:
           Nashville [1]
        Missouri:
           Liberty [1]
        New York:
           Castile [1]
        North Carolina:
           ? [1]
        Oregon:
           Eugene [1]
        Utah:
           West Valley City [1]
        Texas:
           Dallas [1]
        Virginia:
           Arlington [1]
        ? [3]

This may look rather impressive, and it is certainly true that the
number of subscription applications has dramatically increased ever
since we made it easier by way of an online form.  However, I am afraid
that it has become a revolving door. In other words, quite a few of the
newcomers stay with us for a hot second, and many of them have not even
halfway serious intentions and realistic expectations to start with.
Typically, they have read neither the description of the List
(http://www.lowlands-l.net, with a new disclaimer, see below*) nor the
rules (http://www.lowlands-l.net/rules.htm) to which they are directed
automatically.  Some of them do not ever read the front and end matter
that appear with every issue.  I know so because they do everything but
follow the rules when they want to sign off, and what they do instead
includes sending me nasty notes.  Typically, despite specific requests
not to do so, they just block the Lowlands-L server's address if their
accounts allow it.  This results in a flood of error messages at my
end.  I am afraid and disappointed to say that a very long-standing
subscriber just did the same ...

As for "unrealistic expectations" mentioned above, some applicants
seriously believe that we offer free language lessons or are a _pro
bono_ translation agency.  Some of them have told me that all they were
after was learning language XYZ, and that they were not the least bit
interested in getting postings about other languages, and would I please
stop sending those to them ...  In other words, they failed to
understand the main purpose of Lowlands-L.

I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter how explicitly we
compose our descriptions and disclaimers, people either won't bother
reading them or their wishful thinking simply overrides everything,
including logic and reason.

* Here is the new disclaimer as it appears on our homepage:

o Lowlands-L is dedicated to discussion, exchange and dissemination
  of information as well as to networking among persons who have
  certain interests in common.
o Lowlands-L is a moderated discussion group, not a "chat room."
o Lowlands-L does not focus on one specific language or culture but
  on a group of closely related linguistic and cultural varieties
  (which does not include German, North Germanic and Celtic).
o Persons who study one or more of these language varieties are
  likely to benefit from supplementary information and resources
  shared on Lowlands-L. However, Lowlands-L does not offer actual
  language courses, nor is it intended to serve as a substitute for
  regular, structured language teaching.
o Lowlands-L is not a translation agency. Translation work is
  limited to projects that are deemed beneficial to subscribers
  and to the general public.

I am afraid that even some frequently posting subscribers still do not
follow all the rules.  Most commonly, people forget to give their
names.  (If you find their names in square brackets, it was I who added
them in hopes of giving the originator a hint, but some of them don't
seem to get that hint.)

Some subscribers (and I don't mean my co-administrators who have been
asked to do so for certain reasons) send their posting submissions to
one of my private addresses instead of to the list server address
(lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org).

We are busy working on a series of introductions to the Lowlands
languages and would welcome further volunteer writers and translators.
Please write to me (admin at lowlands-l.net) if you need more information.

Best regards,