LL-L "Etymology" 2002.08.30 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 30 14:59:44 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.AUG.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.22 (04) [E]

>From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
>Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.08.22 (02) [E]
>
>Moin, Ron, Leeglanners,
>
>Ron wrote:
>>
>> In dialects of Schleswig-Holstein and Eastern Friesland _Mede_ ['me:de]
>> (or ['mE.Ide]?) or _Meed'_ [me:.(d)] (or [mE:I(d)]?) are still used to
>> denote 'grassland', 'meadow (especially for growing grass for hay
>> production)'.
>
>Should that cognate with (in our LS dialect) "meien", (UG) "m䨥n", (E)
>"to mow"?  We have also (LS) "dat Meiite", "de Mood", (UG) "das
>Gem䨴e", "die Mahd", (E) "the mowed [grass]", "[grass, which] has to be
>mowed".
>
>Regards
>
>Fiete.

Moin Fiete !
Of course this is right !  In Eastern Friesland we have "mäied"
[m´æ:`I.d]
for grassland to be mown (the proper word for "to mow" is "ma:jen"
[ma:jn])
but "fäen" [fE. at n] for pasture. The "mäied" where actually grass is
mowed
to become hay is "swe:land" [sve:lant], derived from "swe:len" to cut
grass
(with a "swó" = scythe).
Gröytens
Holger