LL-L "Folklore" 2002.08.30 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 30 15:04:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.AUG.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net> Email: admin at lowlands-l.net

From: "Ahlfeld, Ross" <ross.ahlfeld at invitrogen.com>
Subject: Folklore 30/08

Dear Lowlanders,
I know it's a couple of months early to start discussing Halloween
traditions but I would be interested to find out if anyone knows the
origin
of the word "Galoshans" or "Galloshuns". Here in Greenock this word is
used
by children to describe what the Americans would call " Trick or Treat "
In
other parts of Scotland the term  "Guisin" is used but I have never
heard
Galoshans used anywhere else, perhaps it has it's roots in an older
Germanic
word ?
Warmest Regards
Ross
PS. Many thanks to all those who replied to my inquiry for information
on
travelling folk and casual labour around Lower Saxony. A while ago I
traced
my ancestors back to the 1820's, my GGG Grandfather was a "Heuermann"
(Small
Landowner or Tenant Farmer ?) from Lemwerder near Oldenburg, after that
his
descendants seem to do a lot of moving around before settling in
Pennsylvania and also here in Scotland but the information I received
certainly gave me a few clues.