LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.12.05 (06) [E/S]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 5 19:35:59 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Dear all,

Whit like are ye?
Sut ydych chwi?

I'm currently doing my duty and working my way through
Colin's Scots language learner, and at the same time
teaching myself Welsh - mainly cos I don't want to be
an ignorant Brit that doesn't know any of the other
languages from his country of origin.

One thing that I've noticed through learning them
side-by-side is the use of the 3rd person singular
with plurals when the plurals aren't a pronoun.

Eg. Scots : he is, they are, but the bairns is
Welsh : y mae ef, y maent hwy, but y mae'r bechgyn
(the boys 'is')

I'm presuming that this is similar in Scots Gaelic -
also being Celtic.

My question is, is this an influence of Gaelic on
Scots, or is this feature an inheritance from the Old
Northumbrian dialect from which it descended? Also,
are there other such grammatical influences from
Celtic in Scots?

I would have tried to write it in Scots, but I didn't
want to embarrass myself, and mangle your language in
the process!

Gary

> I would have tried to write it in Scots, but I didn't
> want to embarrass myself, and mangle your language in
> the process!

Sae ye lat me be gawkin an guffin an playin the blunnerin Scots-learnin
bummle lee lane? Noo, that's conseederin!  Dinna be feart noo!  Nummers
coont, ye ken.

Regairds,