LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.05 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 6 00:17:51 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2002 (14) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Candon McLean <candon3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.05 (10) [E]

While I can appreciate the attempt at inclusiveness by mentioning
Jewish and Islamic holidays, why is it that no attempts are made to
include other world religions, e.g. Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto,
Native American traditions, Wicca, Asatru, Druidism?

Or am I the only non-Christian, non-Jew, non-Muslim on the list?

Candon McLean

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Candon,

You have a point.  However, I do occasionally refer to and wish people well
on holidays of other religions, such as Chinese New Year (since I know we
have a fair number of Chinese subscribers) and Wicca Yule and Samhain
(although I did not know if anyone on the List follows it).  I do so if I am
aware of such holidays and I am sure that there are at least several
subscribers who follow a given tradition.  Christianity, Judaism and Islam
happen to be the three predominant religions of Europe (including Lowlands
Europe), the Americas, Australia and New Zealand, and most of our
subscribers live in those parts.  What provoked me to send out greetings
during this particular period is my awareness that currently holidays are
coinciding in these three traditions.  As far as I know, Yule will be on
December 21, as will be Celtic Alban Arthuan and Alban Heruin, and Kwaanza
will be on December 26.

Holiday wishes ought not be considered my exclusive domain and
responsibility.  Anyone on this List should feel free to send them.  By all
means!

Since we talk about diversity in this regard, my greetings go to Buddhists
on the List (if any) on Bodhi Day (Japanese Rohatsu) on December 8!