LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 6 15:29:51 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.DEC.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Candon McLean <candon3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.05 (14) [E]

Ron, thanks for the other world religion's holiday wishes!

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Holidays

> Holiday wishes ought not be considered my exclusive domain and
> responsibility.  Anyone on this List should feel free to send them.
>  By all
> means!

OK, when the time comes I'll wish every one a Good Yule and 'ware the
wild hunt! ;-)

Candon McLean

----------

From: Thomas Byro <thbyro at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Digression" 2002.12.05 (10) [E]

To Gabrielle Kahn:

My children regard themselves more as New Yorkers than as Americans.  My
daughter (born in Manhattan) thought that she would never leave the city but
is happily settled in Basel now.It is not Westphalia but it is much more
like home than Pennsylvania.  I brought her up bi-lingual Hochdeutsch and
English.  And yes, on December 6th, I would have her and my other  children
leave their shoes outside the door.  They never did get a lump of coal but
it was a close thing at times. They never got to hear the pounding of the
boots of Nikolaus and his helpers and the jangling of the chains around
their waists and worry if they were going to be beaten on the spot but they
allways got candy in their shoes.  I was just thinking about my daughter
when I read your posting.  Assuredly if she were here with me, she would
find candy in her shoes in the morning.  I would see to it myself, if
necessary.

Tom Byro

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Measure words" 2002.12.05 (07) [D/E]

==
Hi Kevin,

that very much reminds me of the time I was waiting my turn in a country
doctor's office in rural Oregon. The only other people there were a
Japanese-American lady (I happened to know her - she was born in the country
and had never even been to Japan) and a "local" lady in her fifties who
started to chat with me. When I mentioned I came from Germany, she said to
both me and the other lady: "Well, yeah, I imagine it must have been hard
for you two to leave your own country and start over. Not that I'll ever
know - I already live here, after all."

And she was trying to be nice, for crying out loud - but still implying that
no one in his right mind would ever migrate FROM the United States, not to
mention the fact that the other lady was every bit as American as herself!

I also think that Dutch is probably "the friendliest language in the world",
but certainly not the most beautiful. Personally, I have this thing for
Scots - and Russian. And, of course, I have a soft spot for my own beloved
Lower Saxon - which, as I once explained, I cannot even "truly" speak.

But now I'm getting reaaaally subjective - and I'm digressing. May The Ron
forgive me this once.

Greetings,
Gabriele Kahn