LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 6 15:33:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.DEC.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: admin at lowlands-l.net
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Marcel Bas <mrbas_26 at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.12.05 (08) [E]

Theo,

According to the etymological sources that I have read, the word 'pink'
could indeed have derived from an IE root from which also words like Welsh
'Pump' (five), 'five', Greek 'penta' (five), but also the Germanic words
'finger, vinger, Finger' have sprung.
The books also seem to agree that 'pink' must indeed be an IE fossil. No
hypothetical reason for this un-Germanic relic was given, but the
conservation of the initial _p_ could be due to the small size of the
finger; in 'little languages' people tend to replace fricatives by plosives,
such as little children do. For example, when children in Holland need to
take their vitamines, the children as well as the parents will refer to the
pills as 'pitamientjes'.

Maybe this relic was preserved by children's language?

Regards, Marcel.

----------

From: Global Moose Translations globalmoose at t-online.de
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.05 (13) [E]

Dear Ron,

Ha! I'll have you know that the Nikolaus has been very good to me. No coal,
no brimstone. So there yourself.

> P.S.: And, for your information, American banknotes are now about to go
> multicolored! So there!

Why, did the good old saint bring YOU a brand-new box of crayons??

I don't want to risk being on Santa's naughty list as well (although my
latest contributions have been blamed on Gustaaf, so I'm probably safe), so
here's a serious question: does anyone know why the devil would be called
"Old Nick", then? It does indeed seem odd that this is so close to "St.
Nicholas" that it even has our favourite linguist confused. And is there any
connection with the word "nickname"?

Gabriele Kahn