LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.12 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 12 17:28:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: robert bowman <bowman at montana.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.11 (05) [E]

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 14:44,  Richard wrote:
> (if any readers of this list know of any books or
> journal articles dealing with the etymology of Pelznickel, please let me
> know).

I didn't find anyhting for 'Pelznickel' but went off on a tangent with
'Pumpernickel'. Several etymologies claim that is "to break wind" + goblin,
or 'devil's fart'.

bob

From: fr.andreas at juno.com <fr.andreas at juno.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folkore" 2002.12.11 (08) [E]

Ron,
     Surely the etymology for the Yiddish "shed" could be found instead
in the Babylonian "sheddu."
Yours,
Fr Andreas Richard Turner.