LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.10 (05) [E/V]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Thu Dec 12 16:21:01 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.DEC.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.lowlands-l.net>  Email: <admin at lowlands-l.net>
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: kcaldwell31 at comcast.net <kcaldwell31 at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.12.12 (03) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Folklore
>
> In many religious practices the world over -- particularly well known with
> regard to Africa, Siberia, and the Americas, also South Asia, Central Asia
> and Korea -- altered (supposedly heightened) states of consciousness are
> sought, sometimes only by the shaman (who mediates between this world and
> another, heals and "channels" spirits of the deceased), oftentimes by
> select
> groups of participants or indeed all participants.  This was (and is)
> clearly the case in various indigenous religions of Europe as well.

I seem to recall reading something recently suggesting that the Oracle at
Delphi used an altered state of consciousness resulting from gases rising
out of a fissure in the earth (connected with thermal/seismic activity such
as a hot spring, if I recall correctly).

The Greek word used in the New Testament for witchcraft or sorcery is
"pharmakeia", from which we get the word "pharmacy", and which evidently
referred to the use of herbs, either for potions or to achieve an altered
state of consciousness.  It also referred to medications.  But this is
starting to go far afield from Lowlands languages.

Kevin Caldwell

From: ChristineVlaamse at aol.com <ChristineVlaamse at aol.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folkore" 2002.12.11 (08) [E]

Hooi Aelemael,
   'k heb stel intres in het naem van den Goddin die in standdaart
Nederlands 'Frija' word, men die van de Noordse Goddin 'Freyja' wil zyn. Hoe
gaet 't in Vest Valemstael? Kan ieman me enige informatie geven?
   'k ben Prester in yenst aen de Goddin en vil het me viel plezier, als
ieman wat me voortellen?

Dank en maeg de Goddin Zy Ge zegendt.