LL-L "Syntax" 2002.12.23 (04) [A/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 24 03:13:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net  * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
               V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Jacobus Le Grange <legrangej at ananzi.co.za>
Subject: Double negatives

Hello all Lowlanders,

I really enjoyed the contributions of Marcel and Luc on the
use of double negatives in West Flemish and other members
of the Lowlands language group. Afrikaans follows Flemish
closely as I have heard the equivelent expressions
frequently.

In Afrikaans we have the use of a positive and negative
which can sometimes carry a deep emotional content.
Ja nee ou swaer dit is werklik 'n groot verlies.
Literally: yes no old brother-in-law it is truly a great
loss.
In colloquial use "swaer" does not necessarily mean your
actual Brother-in-law but just a close friend. "Ou" does
not necessarily mean an aged person but could be someone
known for a long time.
The question is -what does one term a positive negative? A
"nul" perhaps:)? and do any of the lowland languages have
anything resembling this?

In our dialect of English we also have some strange usages
but I'll come back to that after the holidays.

'n merrie krismis en 'n hings nuwe jaar
'n koei vendusie en 'n bul basaar.
Just kidding so I shall say it properly
'n Geseënde Kersfees en 'n voorspoedige nuwejaar aan almal.

John le Grange