LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.12.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 31 15:42:43 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.DEC.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
                  V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: rossmay <rossmay at bellsouth.net>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.30 (04) [E/L]

Mathieu mentioned the language of the people from the Netherlands who were
settled in South Africa.  Is it a separate language or just a dialect unto
itself?  I notice that some of the spellings are different.  Could the way
that they speak the language be archaic or did the language or dialect
change as language is prone to do?  Ross May

[Harlan Ross May]