LL-L "Resources" 2002.12.31 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 31 16:03:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.DEC.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
                  V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro <rdamycastro at uol.com.br>
Subject: ''Dinner For One'' in Lowlands Saxon

Dear Lowlanders,

I have just found out on a website (german.about.com) a link for the
Lowlands Saxon version of ''Dinner For One'' - A British play that has
become a tradition in the New Year's Eve in Germany - according to the
website.

*Maybe, our fellow Germans can confirm that (or not). Though, it's not a
''Lowlands'' subject, itself.*

I, myself, enjoy reading the postings in Lowlands Saxon, even though, I
cannot understand them very well, I can get along; depending on the spelling
used.

However, I have never had the chance to listen* to any dialogue so far, nor
anything in Lowlands Saxon, which, disappoints me (or used to).

The German radio station ''Radio Bremen'' is broadcasting online this
Lowlands Saxon version and I thought that it could be of interest of many
members.

Abendeeten för een - http://www.radiobremen.de/online/abendeeten/

I hope you enjoy this link. The link is in German and there you can also
find the script (which, I liked very much!) in Lowlands Saxon.

(Lowlands Saxon = Low German = Plattdeutsch)

Feliz Ano Novo! Happy New Year! Een Gelukkige Nieuwjaar! 'n Mooi(et)
Niejahr! A guid New Year (cool!)!

Best Regards,
Reynaldo Pimentel Damy Castro
Santos, Brazil

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Reynaldo,

Thanks for the resource tip!  Yes, indeed, the English (British) play
"Dinner for One" has become a New Year's Eve tradition in Germany, being
shown in the original on television since the 1960s.  The original play
calls for two actors: an aged upper-class lady and her at least as aged and
no longer agile butler.  It has very little dialog (butler: "Same as last
year, Ma'am?", lady: "Yes, James, same as last year."), and the rest relies
on slapstick stunts (as the butler gets more and more drunk), which is why
it has been shown untranslated and has always enjoyed much popularity, in
part because most viewers are at least tipsy by the time it comes on.  (I
believe that enjoying it so much year after year *requires* you to be
drunk.)

So far I had only heard that there was a Lowlands Saxon version, and I
thought there wasn't much to be translated, and much of the fun would be
lost with the high-class English pronunciatio gonen.  So I am greatful to
you for pointing out the website, which gave me an opportunity to read the
script and to listen to the sound file.  I can report that it is only very,
very loosely based on the original English play, even has a dog as the
narrator, is really a new play with an entirely different tone and
atmosphere, in large part because it has been made into a *radio* play
(i.e., is minus the visual stunts), and it has been converted to follow the
usual folk comedy tradition to which the language has been relegated.

At any rate, it may be a useful resource for many of our subscribers,
because they get to read the script while listening to the performance, a
rare opportunity for many.

Cheers, and happy New Year!