LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.31 (04) [Ap/E]

Lowlands-L admin at lowlands-l.net
Tue Dec 31 17:24:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.DEC.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 http://www.lowlands-l.net * admin at lowlands-l.net * Encoding: Unicode UTF-8
 Posting Address: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org
                  V=(West)Flemish Z=Zeelandic (Zeêuws)

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.30 (02) [E]

2 remarks:
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Holidays
>
> Oi, Reynaldo!
>
> > By the way.. Happy New Year: ) Feliz Ano Novo! (Portuguese)
>
> How to say "Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!" in the Lowlands
varieties
> has come up several times before.  I just took a peek at our archive and
> list below what we have so far (without the merry Christmas part):
>
> Afrikaans: 'n Voorspoedige nuwe jaar!
> Dutch: Gelukkig nieuwjaar!
> English: Happy New Year!
> Frisian, East (Saterland): Glücksengs Neijohr! ~ Gluksäls Näijier!
I suppose the first is the Lowlands Saxon version as used in Saterland?
The language is quite common there, even though the "original" language is
Saterfrisian. The "johr" part gives it away (no palatal vowel). Also, näi
for
new is correctly spelled (well, there are (unfortunately) more than spelling
system for this
lovely language (which they are very surprised about when anybody from
outside their
region, eg. me.., has bothered to learn, but they all agree on this..). Of
course, Gluk- is
a loan from Lowland Saxon, but the vowel (an [o]-like sound, somewhere
between
[u] and [o] actually) is not identical to the Lowlands Saxon, due to lack of
i-mutation.
It could they that it was borrowed from Saxon while Saterfrisian still
lacked the phoneme "ü", (it unrounded this sound before) and changed it to
something close.
Just wondering.

> Frisian, North (Feerings, Föhr): Fröölig neijuar!
> Frisian, West (Westerlauwer): Lokkich Nijjier!
Literally, this is true. But more common as a wish (in my family, but I've
seen it on
post cards as well): Folle lok en seine yn it nije jier!
[aside: _folle_ for "much" in this context (no "implied negative", normally
you'd say
"in soad", "in protte" or such a word, but "net folle" IS correct) would be
ungrammatical.
But in this wish only it is used as such..]

Henno Brandsma

----------

From: fr.andreas at juno.com <fr.andreas at juno.com>
Subject: LL-L "Holidays" 2002.12.30 (07) [E]

Hey!
     Hae yuins a guid new year, an keep yuins wail. A'll be tae home this
New Year's Day o th mornin, an a-kerryin out no ashes. The night afore'll
be spent quiet-like, a-thankin on the year done gone. Gone years ago is
any playparty er music makin fer thisun. The still o night's too precious
tae waste!
     Hog jowl an greens an black-eye peas'll be et o th day, oer tae
Mother's house. Hog jowls is fer health an greens an peas fer wealth,
accordin tae them as is superstitious. They ere mighty guid, an wi
cornbread er frybread either. An buttermilk. Aw at comes atter church, o
course, hit bein eight days atter New Christmas. (w'Mebarekh `Idha
Dagzurta!)
     Come go wi us!
Yorn,
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Holidays

Henno, you wrote above:

> > Frisian, East (Saterland): Glücksengs Neijohr! ~ Gluksäls Näijier!
> I suppose the first is the Lowlands Saxon version as used in Saterland?

Now that you suggested it, I think you are write, although the source listed
is as "Sater Frisian."  I assume that _Gluksäls Näijier!_ is the actual
Saterland East Frisian (Seeltersk) version.

Father Andreas, great to "hear" from you again, especially in Appalachian!

> The night afore'll
> be spent quiet-like, a-thankin on the year done gone.

Same here.

> Hog jowl an greens an black-eye peas'll be et o th day, oer tae
> Mother's house. Hog jowls is fer health an greens an peas fer wealth,
> accordin tae them as is superstitious. They ere mighty guid, an wi
> cornbread er frybread either. An buttermilk.

Again similar here.  In our ("proudly") mixed household, special days call
for at least one dish as homage to each ingredient of this happy mixture.
Tonight and tomorrow it'll be "(collard) greens and black-eye peas" (with
smoked chops and smoked tofu instead of "hog jowls") and cornbread for the
Euro-Indo-Afro-American South, potato salad and smoked wieners for Northern
Germany, potato pancakes (_latkes_) for Eastern Europe (with apple sauce for
Northern Germany and sour cream [_smetene_] for Jewish friendships),
tabouleh and baba ghanouj for Arabic friendships, Lamingtons for Australia,
and millet-and-buttermilk pudding in memory of my Sorbian "Oma".  It's
eclectic all right, but that's considered a good thing as well as perfectly
American here.

> Hae yuins a guid new year, an keep yuins wail.

And you.  Peace and respect to all!