LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.02.03 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 3 22:10:09 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.FEB.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Hyazinth Sievering (Zintus)" <hyazinth.sievering at ewetel.net>
Subject: Lexicon

Dear Lowlanders,

Last weeks weather conditions here in north-western Germany reminded me
of
the "Mistral", the strong wind in southern France coming through the
Rhone
valley. These memories made me wonder if there are such names for
weather
phenomenons -especially winds- in our Lowlands languages. I must admit
that
in my own Low Saxon I don't even know one name. That's why I invented
one
for myself:
"aai-wind" for the strong south-westerly wind which sometimes brings
very
mild temperatures in the wintertime here (LS "aaien", "aai daun" = to
stroke, to caress; also Dutch "aaien" with the same meaning). Does
anybody
know genuine names in Lowlands languages like the French "Mistral" or
the
Italian "Scirocco" etc.?

Regards

Hyazinth Sievering
D-26892 Wippingen/Emsland

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

[English version below]

Beste Hyazinth (or schull ik "Zintus" seggen?),

'n Echte Anter up Dien Fraag' (baven) heff ik nich, man ik wull Di man
bloots gau künnig maken, dat ik "aai-wind" ("Eiwind" up de dummerhaftige
düütsche Wies' schreven) basig find un dat Woord ook sülvst bruken will,
wenn ik dat dröff.

Hyazinth, I don't have an answer to your question (above), but I find
"aai-wind" (written "Eiwind" in the silly German way) great and will use
it myself if I may.

Folks, we have a rather creative force in our friend Hyazinth.  I wonder
what other creations he has up his sleeve.

The only special Low Saxon (Low German) names for wind I am familiar
with are for the strong, dangerous types: _Blaser_ ['blQ:z3] ("blower"),
_Ballerwind_ ['ba.l3vI.nt] ("smashing wind") and_Stüüm_ [sty:m], besides
_Storm_ [stO.3m].  (NB.: _Storm_ always implies 'wind'. Strong rain or
snow cannot be called _Storm_ as in English unless they are accompanied
by strong wind.)

In some areas they also say _Rasmus_ ['rasmUs] (the name Erasmus) for
strong, dangerous wind on the high seas -- apparently going back to some
folkloristic thing about Erasmus, the lord of the seas, i.e., the ocean
wind.  (Note also _Blankhans_ or _de blanke Hans_ "white/shiny John" as
a name for the North Sea, especially implying "dangerous.")

However, I know that in some dialects, especially in Mecklenburg and
Western Pomerania, they say _drögen Wind_ ['dr9:gN ,vI.nt] or
_Dröögwind_ (~ _Drööchwind_ ['dr9:CvI.nt], "dry wind") for wind that
comes without rain and cold (which is atypical for the region), and they
also say _Blökerwind_ ['bl9:k3vI.nt], which I understand to mean 'hot
(summer) wind', apparently derived from the verb _blökern_ 'to singe'.
I wonder ...  But none of these are like the mistral or scirocco.

(Here in the Pacific Northwest of North America we have the "Pineapple
Express," a stream of warm wind that comes here directly from around
Hawai'i and brings atypically warm wind and rain.)

Grötens/Regards,