LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.02.10 (06) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 04:10:32 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.FEB.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley (Laptop)" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: Query

Ron,

That *is* 'Lallans' (from 'laich lannds', 'low lands').

Ian.

----------

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Language varieties"

> From: R. F. Hahn
> Subject: Language varieties
>
> I received the following question regarding Lallans from a
> non-subscriber:
>
> ===start quote===
> Which variety of Scots, used in a Scottish literary revival in the last
> century, is referred to by a name derived from the word lowlands?
> ===end quote===

"Lallans" - however, the word was long in use before the C20 revival, eg
in
Burns's "To William Simpson":

In days when mankind were but callans
At grammar, logic, an sic talents,
They took nae pains their speech to balance,
    Or rules to gie,
But spak their thochts in plain, braid Lallans,
    Like you or me.

Or his "Address to the Deil", where he uses the singular form:

But a' your doins to rehearse,
Your wily snares an fechtin fierce,
Sin that day Michael did you pierce,
    Doun to this time,
Wad ding a' Lallan tongue, or Erse,
    In prose or rhyme.

And Robert Louis Stevenson used it in "The Maker to Posterity":

"What tongue does your auld beukie speak?"
He'll spier; an I, his mou to steik:
"No bein fit to write in Greek,
    I wrote in Lallan,
Dear to my hert as the peat reek,
    Auld as Tantallon.

It's from the Scots word "Lawland(s)" meaning "Lowland(s)"

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.