LL-L "Expressions" 2002.02.12 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 12 20:03:03 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.FEB.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: AEDUIN at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Expressions" 2002.02.12 (01) [E]

Reinhard

See the example given on the site which is part rhyming slang, I will put in a
few of the rhyming words.

Cockney Passage

I was in the Karsi, sitting on me Kyber (PASS), using the grey matter,when I
thought, wouldn't it be nice if me Dutch(ess) (OF FIFE) made some Rosy (LEE).
She
got some fresh Adam's there. So I went down the Apples (PEARS) and told her.
We
could go up to the Rubba (DUB TUB). Me in me best Whistle (AND FLUTE) and
Titfer
(TAT) and me new Daisy's* (ROOTS)
(Please note the inclusion of other slang eg. Adam's Ale which is water)

The double words are joined grammatically by either no extra word or by OF or
AND
etc.

I believe the origin to have been amongst the cockney costermongers and may
have
been in part a response to the growth of other argots in London or even the
increasing use of Yiddish.

The common tongue in use in the area before this may well have been thieve's
cant
which I "nante parle", to quote an underworld/theatrical/gay language.

Such rhyming slang as I did learn was learnt as with any other language from
my
elders along with bits of other slangs from London and the Print industry.

The interesting thing about the above mixture is that here you had the
language
of those living on the fringe mixing with that of one of the more
self-conscious
and secure employed groups.

* "Daisy's" is strictly incorrect as it should be just Daisy (ROOTS) for boots
but the first part of the double can take on a life of its own and be
pluralised
etc., especially to make grammatical sense.

Regards

Edwin Deady