LL-L "Orthography" 2002.02.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 15:50:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 22.FEB.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

I wrote yesterday:

> I realize that, as in English, the final, "silent" <e> indicates that
> the preceding vowel is "long" (which in English and Scots usually means
> that it is a diphthong).  I suppose this could be adhered to
> consistently.  However, this complicates the representation of the /s/
> vs /z/ contrast.  If English spelling did not serve as the model, then I
> would suggest that something like the more "scientific" version of the
> German-based system for Low Saxon could be used.  If I used this system
> and represented the (long vowel >) diphthong consistently by <y>, I
> would write <wys> (with [...s]) for the noun and <wys'> (with [...z])
> for the verb.  In this Low Saxon system, the apostrophe represented a
> "dropped" /-e/ (which is not "dropped" in some dialects, hence <wyse>
> there).  The absence of an apostrophe indicates that the vowel is
> voiceless.

I suppose that, at least theoretically, this could be translated into an
Anglo-Saxon (i.e., English-looking) system.  Let us assume, just for now, that
we represent Scots [@I] ~ [aI] by using <ei>, which by itself already signals
a long vowel ([i:]) or a dipthong ([aI], [@I], etc.).  Thus, while in the case
and <wis>), <ei> does not require this extra device but does can be used to
signal voicedness of the preceding consonant, and this allows us to to
distinguish [w at Iz] ~ [waIz] 'to guide' from [w at Is] ~ [waIs] 'guide' by writing
them <weise> and <weis> respectively.

By the way, these words are related to _wise_ (as in "maturely insightful")
and archaic _wise_ (as in "manner").  Cf., Low Saxon (/wiiz-/) _wiesen_
['vi:zn=] 'to point (in a direction)', 'to guide', 'to show', (/viize/)
_wiese_ ['vi:ze] ~ _wies'_ [vi:.z] ~ (/wiiz/) _wies_ [vi:s] 'wise],  (/viize/)
_Wiese_ ['vi:ze] ~ _Wies'_ [vi:.z] 'manner', 'way (of doing)', 'tune',
'melody' (e.g., /Sriiv+viize/ _Schrievwiese_ ~ _Schriefwiese_ ~ _Schrievwies'_
~ _Schriefwies'_ "write-wise" = 'orthography', 'spelling').  Apparently, the
root denominator of all of them is "knowledge."

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2002.02.21 (08) [E]

Ron,

Little to add here except to agree entirely with what
you say.

I remain convinced that, if the minority language in
question is lucky enough to have them, the way forward
is to follow largely literary norms, even where these
are slightly 'majority-language-ized'. Literature is a
good way to get people to take pride in their language
and to introduce them to its authentic version, and
also often to the historical world view of its
speakers.

This is certainly the case with Scots, whose poets and
writers were typified by an impoverished lifestyle (at
least in terms of money) but also by remarkable
knowledge of world events and an amazingly progressive
attitude. This applies to Scots writers in Scotland,
Ireland and indeed further afield. This heritage is
illustrated by the literature, and is the best way to
instil pride in the tongue among contemporary
speakers. Therefore any modern written form cannot be
too alarmingly distant from the literary version so as
to appear utterly different. This is the case in
Ulster, where many may be persuaded by the literary
argument, but some of the texts being produced are so
utterly different (quite aside from the fact they are
often utterly inauthentic - I refer here only to the
orthography employed, not to the standard of language)
from the literary variety that they are seen as
something totally different, rather than a modern
descendant of a rich and varied literary heritage.

Of course, it is a good idea to regularize the whole
thing. Literature is full of inconsistencies, and then
have to be ironed out carefully. But whether, for
example, it is necessary to distinguish every minor
pronunciation variant is another issue. There is a
delicate balancing act involved.

I can add only, that that balancing act can only be
achieved by linguists and native speakers working
together for the good of the language in question.
Unfortunately these processes are all too often led by
those not qualified to lead them. But in the end, it
often works out for the best.

All the best,

=====