LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 22:20:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Pronouns"

> From: "Ted Harding" <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
> Subject: : It/That
>
> Folks,
> In the dialect of the area of East Anglia where I live
> (North Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk, and probably further
> afield), it is common to use "that" where "it" would
> normally be used in standard English (i.e. with a purely
> referential, and not an indicative or demonstrative function).

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Pronouns
>
> So, wouldn't it be "That it certainly is" in many dialects of England?

Just for information or completeness, I don't think the
phenomenon Ted has raised would occur in Scots at all.

The most natural way to say "It certainly is" in Scots
woould be "It is that". The emphasis (or sentence stress)
is on the word "that" in this sentence - I don't think any
intensifier corresponding to "certainly" would be used. So
to translate Ted's example into Scots:

> >   "Wintry today!" said I.
> >   "That certainly is" said he.
>
> "Wint(e)rig vundaag' (~ ht)!" see(d') ik.
> "Dat is dat wahrhaftig," see(d') he.

"Like winter the day!" says I.
"It is that," says he.

In the other example, the dog would simply be referred to
as "it" (or "he" or "she").

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he