LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.23 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 21:45:03 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ted Harding" <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: : It/That

Folks,
In the dialect of the area of East Anglia where I live
(North Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk, and probably further
afield), it is common to use "that" where "it" would
normally be used in standard English (i.e. with a purely
referential, and not an indicative or demonstrative function).

Examples:

Meeting someone in the local village street today:--
   "Wintry today!" said I.
   "That certainly is" said he.

Or:--
   "I called my dog into the house and that just sat
    there. That took no notice of me at all."

Question: Does the equivalent of "that" get used in
a similar way (instead of the equivalent of "it") in
other L-L langauges/dialects?

Maybe it's an archaic usage (the back of my mind suggests
I may have heard it in American speech as well).

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972