LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.24 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 24 20:33:43 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.FEB.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Rudi Vari <rudi at its.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.23 (02) [E]

Hi all Lowlanders

Ted Harding wrote:

> Folks,
> In the dialect of the area of East Anglia where I live
> (North Cambridgeshire, West Norfolk, and probably further
> afield), it is common to use "that" where "it" would
> normally be used in standard English (i.e. with a purely
> referential, and not an indicative or demonstrative function).
>
> Examples:
>
> Meeting someone in the local village street today:--
>    "Wintry today!" said I.
>    "That certainly is" said he.
>
> Or:--
>    "I called my dog into the house and that just sat
>     there. That took no notice of me at all."
>
> Question: Does the equivalent of "that" get used in
> a similar way (instead of the equivalent of "it") in
> other L-L langauges/dialects?
>
> Maybe it's an archaic usage (the back of my mind suggests
> I may have heard it in American speech as well).
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Ted.

I remember an expression that my parents used to use: "Dat zit er maar
te
zitten". This would refer to a person in a derogatory (depersonalised)
sense, implying no get up and go, or no desire/initiative to do anything
positive.

Does this fall in the same class as Ted's observation?

Although I am largely a lurker, I still enjoy most of what happens on
this
list, but I must be honest: when Ron and co. use the more technical
syntax,
I am totally lost.

Kind regards to you all, especially Ron (Reinhard)
Rudi Vári

----------

From: "Wim" <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.23 (05) [E]

Good morning.

The same applies for Swedish:

 Det är kalt idag. It is cold today.

Maybe the use of that, instead of it has to do with the Danish influence
on
English dialects. I heard people from Yorkshire do strange Danish thing
their English too.

I checked my Swedish spelling with a proofing tool I picked up on this
site:
http://www.zjzmpop.co.yu/
Proofing tools for free, I use them, they work.
Wim Verdoold

wkv at home.nl

www.geocities.com/velikovski_project/