LL-L "Morphology" 2002.02.25 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 23:43:57 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley (Laptop)" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2002.02.25 (03) [E]

Jan & Ron,

It is true that some weak verbs become strong, but this is extremely
unusual. In the case of High German, I found only one example of a
Middle
High German verb 'strengthening' by the New High German period (although
didn't count 'fragen', which has strong forms in some literature and
occasionally in the conjunctive).

In English, we have the confusing case of 'sneak' (just to confirm, Ron,
'snuck' is also common in British English too), we have the exclusively
American strong forms of 'dive' (by analogy with 'drive'), and the more
clear-cut case of 'dig', which was regular weak at the time of the King
James Bible, for example. Some regional English dialects also have
'thunk'
as a strong past form of 'think', where the older forms are irregular
but
still weak. I suppose 'brung' falls into this category as well.

Interestingly, Ulster Scots literature displays the weak form 'seed' for
'see', but I have never, ever heard this is modern speech (where the
form is 'sa' or 'seen').

Kind regards,
Ian James Parsley.

----------

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2002.02.22 (13) [E]

Erratum!

In a previous posting I stated that Lorimer used the form _teached_, but
see that he in fact uses the form _taucht_. Teach me to rely on memory
at
my age...

It's possible that he does use the form _teached_ somewhere - he often
uses
variant forms in different sections of his translation - but I can't
find
an example. He does, however, use the form _brang_ as well as _brocht_.

John M. Tait.