LL-L "Morphology" 2002.02.25 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 19:05:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Jan Strunk" <strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2002.02.24 (09) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

just a few comments.

Ian wrote:
> It is perfectly normal for strong verbs to become weak, of course. My
> own
> studies showed over 700 strong verbs in Old High German, reduced to
> around
> 160 in the modern language. Standard British English has over 200 still,
> Scots probably considerably fewer (I have collected 89 in Ulster, but
> there
> are almost certainly more). Scandinavian languages also seem to have
> fewer,
> possibly below 100.
Of course, there also cases (though fewer) where originally weak verbs
have
become strong.
This normally happens by analogy.
I think there are some in Low Saxon (maybe more than in German), though
I'm
not totally sure.
For example:    winken, wunk, wunken
                         maken, mok, mokt (?)
                        fraogen, fraog, fraogt

Apparently there is a tendency in these cases that only one form is
constructed strong.
This is also the case for winken (to wave) in Ruhr-German, my dialect (a
German dialect with
a strong Low Saxon substratum):
We say:    ich winke, winkte, hab gewunken

Gued gaon,

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Jan,

> I think there are some in Low Saxon (maybe more than in German), though > I'm
> not totally sure.
> For example:    winken, wunk, wunken
>                          maken, mok, mokt (?)
>                         fraogen, fraog, fraogt

North Saxon dialects of Low Saxon (Low German) -- plural forms
parenthesized:

winken 'wave':
weak: wink- - wink- (winken) - winkt ~ winken
strong: wink- - wunk ~ wünk - wunken

maken 'make, do':
weak: maak- - maak- (maken) - maakt
strong: maak- - möök [m9Ik]~[mOIk] (möken) - maakt

fragen 'ask':
weak: fraag- - fraag- (fragen) - fraagt
strong: fraag- - fröög- [fr9IC]~[fr9IC] (frögen) - fraagt

So I wonder if this is not pretty old, considering that it exists in at
least North Saxon and Westphalian dialects.

> This is also the case for winken (to wave) in Ruhr-German, my dialect (a
> German dialect with
> a strong Low Saxon substratum):
> We say:    ich winke, winkte, hab gewunken

Standard German now allows this choice, according to newer dictionaries:

weak: wink- - winkte(st/n) - gewinkt
strong: wink- - winkte(st/n) - gewunken