LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 18:46:43 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Jan Strunk" <strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: LL-L "Pronouns" 2002.02.24 (08) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

Ron wrote:
> So am I right when I hear you say you assume the North Germanic and West
> Germanic developments to be independent from each other?  Or do you
> think this could also be a case of spread (northward or southward),
> considering that the same type of neuter pronoun replacement in West
> Germanic is strongest in *North* Saxon (not so much or not all all on
> Westphalian and Eastphalian and in the southern dialects of North
> Saxon)?  Of course, North Saxon borders on Southern Jutish and Danish.

That's a good question. It could very well be that the use of "dat"
instead
of "et/it" in North
Saxon is due to Scandinavian influence. How is the case in Dutch and
Frisian?
Is there perhaps a form like "et" in Sonderjysk?
Yesterday I looked through some rather old books on Germanic, Gothic and
the
Scandinvian languages,
but there was never a comment on why the Scandinavian languages have
"det",
etc. instead of the
"normal" neuter pronoun.
If a find the time, I will look further.

Regards,

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de