LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.02.25 (01) [E/Z]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 18:43:42 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.FEB.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Expreszo" <expreszo at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.02.18 (02) [E]

I wrote to you about typical Zeelandic expressions:

Ron responded
> Margot,
>
> You wrote above:
>
> > " Daè zit een brokke mie tjoekjes in de 'outvumme "
> > or what to say about:
> > " Kiek, kiek, daè staèt een kacheltje op de diek"
> > and last but not least:
> > " A't joe tam end is pak't dan mè"
>
> And what does it mean?  The first one "sounds" like a hen with chicks
> sitting in a wooden basin.  The second one "sounds" like drawing
> someone's attention to a small stove standing on the dike.  The third
> one "sounds" like suggesting to pack the food and take it along if
> you're full ... But I'm sure that's not it.  ;)

The first one was nearly right. The hen was sitting in "a storage place
for
wood." (or can you use the word basin for a large storage place???)
The second one you made the same mistake as most people do: A
"kacheltje" is
a "veulentje (D)" t.i. a young horse (I have to get me an English
dictionary).
I cannot imagine anyone using the last one for it means: "if this is
your
tamed (not wild) duck, you can take it".

As you can see, I read my mail just once a week.  Hope the delay in my
replie does not bother you.

For everyone who is interested:
A jie ôk hroôs op Zeêuws bin, mè nie mi in Zeêland weunt, dan wil ik joe
best mien stiksjes uut de Bevelander stiere. Stuur me mè een meeltje:
expreszo at zeelandnet.nl.
(If you are also proud of Zeelandic, but do not longer live in Zeeland,
can send you my column from the Bevelander. Just send me a mail at:
expreszo at zeelandnet.nl)
"De Bevelander" is a free paper in our region.

De kost en bezjoer

Margot van Baalen-Geijs

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Margot,

Thanks for your explanation above.

> > " Daè zit een brokke mie tjoekjes in de 'outvumme "

> The first one was nearly right. The hen was sitting in "a storage place
> for wood." (or can you use the word basin for a large storage place???)

No.  I would translate it as "There is a hen with chicks sitting in the
woodshed"

(_Tjoekjes_ (['tjUkj at s]? ['tSUkj at s]?) for 'chicks' is interesting,
considering Australian English _chooks_ ([tSUks]) for 'chickens'.)

> > " Kiek, kiek, daè staèt een kacheltje op de diek"

> A "kacheltje" is
> a "veulentje (D)" t.i. a young horse (I have to get me an English
> dictionary).

"Look! Look! There's a (little) foal standing on the dike."