LL-L "Folklore" 2002.01.07 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 22:42:49 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JAN.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.01.01 (02) [E]

Hello.
     Dawn, Saint Walburga was a real person, not just a "Saint". Her
tomb
can be visited and her bones venerated. She was the daughter of one of
the kings of the AngloSaxon Pentarchy (but I forget which one, sorry)
and
a Benedictine. There is a spring there whose waters are said to possess
curative powers. It appeared after her burial and is regarded as a sign
of her sanctity. I'm certain that there's a biography of her on-line,
somewhere. I'd direct you to it myself, but my internet service is iffy
at best.
     As you know, we must be careful in our conflation of history with
theory. Just because there is an "Oak Grove United Methodist Church"
just
down the road from me does not mean that the inhabitants of this end of
Sevier County, Tennessee were Druids before the coming of Bp Francis
Asbury. ;)
     For that matter, my own grandmother taught me about the healing
power of the local herbs. She was a Baptist, and this herb-lore formed
no
part of her religion except the belief that for every ailment an herb
was
created for its healing. I still have more confidence in them than in
chemical pharmacopia.
     Country people are country people. The cycles of nature and all of
the gifts thereof are celebrated by all those who live so close to
nature, regardless of their religion.

Brikha Danaha l'Kolkhon!
A Blessed Epiphany to All!
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

----------

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2002.01.01 (01) [E]

Hello Ron !
What You say is correct - no doubt. When in my posting I wrote that I
wanted to give an addition or slight correction this just meant
the denotation of witches and their distinction towards the
wikkerswîv/~wi:ven (Wickerswiev/en) in Eastern Friesland Low Saxon
according to the quote as follows
_
> ['hEks(e)], and in others the word is _Tööversch(e)_ ['t9.Iv3S(e)]
("(female)
> magician").  However, there is also the use in many dialects of _Wickersch
(e)_
> ['vIk3S(e)], _Witsch_ [vItS] and, in Eastern Friesland, _Wickwief_.

Kind regards
 Holger