LL-L "Names" 2002.01.07 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 01:31:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 07.JAN.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Selma Schepel" <selmaschepel at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.01.07 (06) [E]

Dutch Henne is male (Hendrik, Heinrich, Henry) but Henna, Henneke,
Hennie
are female.
Dutch Heiltje is female (Heil, 'welfare').
Árpád is Hungarian (vielleicht: árpa =  Gerste[nkorn]).

----------

From: RVZSTERN at aol.com

Hennie and Hiltje are (northern) Dutch names. Heine and Hielke male
names.
Hennie and Hiltje were very common names when I grew up, although Hiltje
was
then considered a bit more "old-fashioned"; I was born in 1949 and grew
up in
the north of a province called Drenthe in North East Holland, in a very
small
farmer's community where most of us had traditional regional names.
Hope this helps.

Roeliena Van Zanten , Bainbridge Island WA