LL-L "Names" 2002.01.09 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 21:35:30 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JAN.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Jim Krause <sodshanty at HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.01.09 (01) [E]

It is interesting to find differences in such a fashion.  While doing a
little research into family history, I could only trace back one branch as
far as 1809, the birth of my great-great grandfather in what is now the
Ukraine.  His birth coinsides with the Low-German Mennonite migration from
the Vistula Delta region to Russia.  I have begun to wonder recently
whether or not Great-great Grandpa changed the name from the Low-German
Krüse to the High German Krause, thus impeding further research temporarily.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Jim,

I think it is quite possible that in the past people "elevated" their names by
"translating" them into the "high" language, considering that Low Saxon ("Low
German") has been considered low-prestige since about the beginning of the
beginning of the 18th century.

I cannot read your "Krüse."  (It comes out with gobbledigook for the vowel in
my program.)  I assume you mean Krüse.

Apparently, the Low Saxon equivalents of German Krause are Kruse, Krüse, Kruus
and Krüüs, also Kroeze and Kroes in the Low-Saxon-speaking parts of the
Netherlands, with the same pronunciation as Kruse and Kruus respectively east
of the border.  You ought to consider all of these possibilities.  Kruus
occurs more in Swedish and Estonian than in Low Saxon (though I assume it
started off as a Low Saxon name in the days of Hanseatic Low Saxon commercial
expansion, before the u > ü shift occurred or before it came to be written).

(I hazard to guess that the name of the actor Tom Cruise is derived from the
same source, unless it came from Spanish Cruz.)