LL-L "Delectables" 2002.01.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 15:58:57 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JAN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Legato" <legato at pt.lu>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2002.01.10 (11) [E]

>>From Carina van Tonder legato at pt.lu
> : AEDUIN at aol.com   wrote
> Subject: LL-L "Delectables" (was "Rituals") 2002.01.10 (03) [E]
>
> In a message dated 10/01/02 22:03:37 GMT Standard Time, sassisch at yahoo.com
> writes:
>
>    The cutletti are made of ground meat
>    mixed with stale bread soaked in milk, mixed with onions and seasoning,
> formed
>    into oval shapes, rolled in bread crumbs and deep fried.
>
> Too off-topic to point out that that is more or less the recipe for
> "cannonballs" beloved of the Swallows and Amazons?
>
> Edwin

I have aquestion to ask.
Is this similar to the Dutch "Bitterballen"?
 Regards,
Carina

----------

From: "Reuben Epp" <repp at silk.net>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" (was "Rituals") 2002.01.10 (03) [E]

> From: "CA L" <stju at pinn.net>
> Subject: An answer for Randy
>
> Croquettes are of French origin. However, they were introduced into
Russian
> culture during the time of Catherine the Great, called cutletti.
> During that time, she demanded everything French, from tutors to recipes
such
> as the Salat Olivier, a delicious salad.  The cutletti are made of ground
meat
> mixed with stale bread soaked in milk, mixed with onions and seasoning,
formed
> into oval shapes, rolled in bread crumbs and deep fried.
>
> Susan Wilkinson
> stju at pinn.net

Dear Lowlanders,

The aforegoing recipe seems to be what in Prussia (in the
1700's) was known as 'Klopps,' which the Mennonites
took with them to Russia, and apparently later (after
about 1870) became known among them as 'Kotlette,'
probably in conformity with imposed russianization of
terminology of that time.

Mennonites who left Russia before such russianization
was imposed upon them, refer to fried meat-balls in their
inherited Prussian/Low German terminology as 'Klopps.'
The term is actually quite descriptive. 'Klopps' readily
translates into English as 'patties.'

Cheers!

Reuben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Above, Reuben wrote about the _Klopps_.  _Klopse_ (which is the German plural
form of _Klops_) are also known in Germany, certainly in Northern Germany.  I
do not know exactly how wide-spread this familiarity is, because, although my
parents and I were born in the area of Hamburg, my grandparents all came from
the east, one from Pomerania, two from Eastern Prussia (one from what is now
Russian Kaliningrad and the other just on the Polish border), and one from the
greater Lusatia ({L/}u{z^}ica/Lausitz) area.  (One grandfather was born in
Holstein but had been conceived in Eastern Prussia and grew up in an East
Prussian household.)  It has happened many times that what I had come to
consider normal food and folklore turned out to be rare in my native area,
imported from those eastern areas.

However, to me _Klopse_ are not patties but meatballs.

One of my favorite dishes as a child was _Königsberger Klopse_.  It is named
after the East Prussian city of Königsberg, Russian Kalinigrad.  It is rather
akin to Swedish meatballs, and I would not be surprised if there were a
connection, considering 17th-century Swedish expansion of vast Baltic coast
stretches from Eastern Prussia to what is now Northeastern Germany.  Usually,
the balls are made from minced pork, beef, bread (or breadcrumbs) and onions,
with some lemon juice or zest; some add chopped or minced anchovy.  It is
served with a caper sauce.  Overall, it is a salty and sour affair, and it is
rather addictive.  It does seem to be well-known in Germany, judging by the
number of recipes found on the Web.  A recipe in English is found here:
http://www.germancorner.com/recipes/I-L/konigsberg_meatballs.html

The Russian _kotleta_, a meat patty, sounds as though it belongs to the
general "hamburger" category, unless I misunderstood it.  In Northern Germany,
a meat patty is known as _Frikadelle_, or _Frikadell_ in Low Saxon (Low
German, > Danish _frikadel_).  In Berlin and surrounding areas it is known as
_Bulette_ (< French _boulette_ '(small) ball').  The Hamburg-style
_Frikadelle_ tends to be larger or at least thicker than today's American
hamburger, contains onions and spices as well, and is not normally served in a
bun but is served like a steak alongside potatoes and vegetables, and it is
eaten with knife and fork.  Apparently, it developed from steak tatar, a patty
of raw minced beef and onion, that was imported to the port city Hamburg from
tsarist Russia, where it was first eaten by Turkic and Mongolic peoples (the
name "Tatar" formerly having been used to refer to *any* Turkic and Mongolic
people, even to Samoyedic and Tungusic people, today specifically to the
Turkic-speaking people that call themselves _tatar(lar)_).  Steak tatar is
still eaten by some Germans (and was one of my father's rare favorites).
_Frikadellen_, however, are always cooked, specifically pan-fried.  In the
19th century, German emigrants brought it to North America, where it was first
known as "steak Hamburg style."  I would not jump to the conclusion that it
was introduced specifically by native Hamburgers, considering that Hamburg
used to be the major port for people from all over Northern Continental and
Eastern Europe, most of whom lived in Hamburg for extended periods before they
managed to secure passages to the Americas.

===start quote===
"Steak Hamburg Style", the formerly Russian delicacy, was first introduced to
Ohio, by German immigrants. Apparently, an immigrant restaurant proprietor
fried spiced ground beef and served it as "hamburgers" as a reminder of the
Atlantic crossing. And as early as 1872, the first "Lunch Wagon", a forerunner
of today's fast food chains, was being pulled through the American East by a
horse. Charlie Nagreen of Wisconsin was allegedly the first to serve the patty
between two halves of a bun. The reason: his customers complained of greasy
hands after eating.
   And the descendants of Frank Menches also claim their share of hamburger
fame: in 1882, at a trade fair in Akron City, he ran out of sausages, so he
put beef through the grinder, seasoned it and stuck it in a sandwich. For
Jeffrey Tennyson ("Hamburger Heaven: The Illustrated History of the
Hamburger"), this was the "true" hour of the hamburger's birth.
   There is also evidence for the fact that, during the 1904 World Expo in St.
Louis, Fletcher Davis, a chef, included "hamburgers" on his menu and even
garnered media attention with his new-fangled mincemeat creation.
   Only one thing is for certain in hamburger lore: if America hadn't been
discovered, there would probably never have been a hamburger. But as with so
many brilliant inventions, it required the prior input of numerous "cooks" to
lay the groundwork. These included the old Tartars, as well as a number of
others for whom Hamburg's harbor was a departure or destination point in their
adventures. And finally, it took America's fast food pioneers to help
hamburgers achieve their popular breakthrough."
===end quote===
http://www.hamburg-newmedia.net/_en/new_text/last-but-not/home-of-hamburger.html