LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.23 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 21:48:20 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

This coming Friday, January 25, 2002, will be Burns Night, an annual event
celebrating the birth of the beloved Scottish (and predominantly Scots) poet
Robert "Rabbie" Burns (1759–1796).

Just in time for that and as a little friendly gesture directed at all our
Scots-speaking, -writing, -loving and -engaged subscribers, as well as
unsubscribed web surfers, I have updated our Scots Online Resources Guide
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/links_scots.htm).
Corrections and suggestions would be welcomed.

I recommend the following two websites for those seeking information about
Burns, anywhere between general and detailed:

*  The Bard: Your complete guide to the immortal memory of Scotland's
   most famous poet
   http://www.rabbie-burns.com/index.cfm
   (an e-shrine for Robert/Rabbie Burns)

*  Burns Country
   http://www.robertburns.org/
   (another e-shrine for Robert/Rabbie Burns, claiming to be "the
   official Robert Burns Site" -- publishes the complete works of
   Burns, with integrated glossary translation into several
   languages)

To those of you who do not already know and are curious enough to find out
what typically happens during this celebration, what kind of a creature a
"haggis" is and how it is hunted, prepared and consumed on Burns Night and any
other night or day, I recommend the following pages:

*  The Format for a Burns Supper
   http://www.rabbie-burns.com/burnssupper/

*  Haggis Hunt
   http://www.haggishunt.com/

*  Making of a Haggis
   http://www.rabbie-burns.com/haggis/

Finally, please find below Burns' "Address To A Haggis" (with a brief glossary
by yours truly, corrections welcome), an "address" without the reciting of
which a Burns Supper would be incomplete.

Blythe Burns Nicht, dear freends!

Regairds,
Reinhard/Ron

***

ADDRESS TO A HAGGIS
by Robert Burns, 1786

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin was help to mend a mill
In time o'need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An' cut you up wi' ready sleight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like ony ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin', rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an' strive:
Deil tak the hindmost! on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
Then auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
Bethankit! hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad make her spew
Wi' perfect sconner,
Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckles as wither'd rash,
His spindle shank, a guid whip-lash;
His nieve a nit;
Thro' blody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread.
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll mak it whissle;
An' legs an' arms, an' hands will sned,
Like taps o' trissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o' fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies;
But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer
Gie her a haggis!

***

GLOSSARY:

aboon: above
belyve: by and by
Bethankit: "Be thanked" (said during after-dinner grace)
deil: devil
dight: wipe
fair fa' (greeting, something like "Welcome!" or "Hail!")
guid: good
Guidman: Master
hurdie: loin
jaup: splash, bespatter
kyte: belly
luggie: wooden dish, bowl
maist: most
nae: no
nieve: fist
nit: nut
ony: any
owre: over, excessive
painch: paunch, stomach
reek: smoke
sconner: disgust
sic: such
skinking: watery
sned: lop off, sever
sonsie: plump
staw: sicken
tak: take
tap: top
thairm: gut, intestine (cf. German _darm_)
wad: would
walie: choice, ample, large
weel: well
weel-swall'd: well-rounded, quite swollen
wordy: worthy