LL-L "Names" 2002.01.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 00:12:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.01.25 (01) [E]

Since my surname is Tietz I have made, of course, my
investigations about iTs origions, fact is that my
fathers family is derived from East Prussia, my
father´s family´ was a family who spoke the East
Prussian form of Low Saxon at home before emigrating
to the West during the last war. German linguistics
agree that the name Tietz is derived from a short form
of the Latin "Titian" which became in High
german¨"Tietz" as a first name. But surnames in east
Prussia might simply have been given to native
Prussians (a Baltic people like Lithuanians and
Latvians) by tax collectors from the Brandenburg
state. My father´s family came from an area called
Natangen, the village was called Abschwangen, both
names are already of Baltic origion and it is reported
that the area was densily populated by native
Prussians, though no typically Baltic surnames were
found in the area. Therefore I suspect that the native
Prussians were given there German surnames by the
Brandenburgian authoroties rather than being chosen by
the natives themselfs. My father died when I was 2
years old, therefore I have no living memory how his
East Prussian Low Saxon sounded like but it is
supposed to be similar to Simon Dach´s "Anke van
Tharaw", a famous song and poem from the 17th century,
written in the Low Saxon form of the Samland in East
Prussia. The origional Baltic Prussian language
disappeared already in the 18th century but it
influenced the locaL Low Saxon dialect, as, e.g.
"Marjell" the word for "girl".