LL-L "Expressions" 2002.01.25 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 00:33:06 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JAN.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Expressions" 2002.01.25 (03) [E]

Beste Lieëglanners,

As an answer to Jim Krause's last question, I would like to add that in
my
Brabantish dialect, people will generally say :
"k Em da gäärn" ("Ik heb dat gaarne" in Standard Dutch), when they want
express a feeling meaning "I like that" in English.
Specifically referring to food or drinks, one can also hear : "k Mag da
wel".
On the other hand, if they want to deny that they like something...it is
often said :
"k Kan da ni af" (litterally : "Ik kan dat niet af" in Standard Dutch
speech)
However, the latter would rather have to be translated as "I can't bear
it"
or "I can't stand it" in English.

Luc Hellinckx