LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 28 19:09:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Expreszo" <expreszo at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: lexicon

Dear Ron,

Thank you for your reaction.
I asked for equivalents in Lowland varieties of the Zeelandic word > (Z)
druksjes: (D) dropjes
You wrote:
>(E) (Amer.) (hard) candy, (Brit.) sweets, (Austral.) lollies

>(NLS) Bolten (boltn) ['bO.ltn=], Boltjen (boltjen) ['bO.ltjen], Bontjes
>(bontjes) ['bOntjes], Buntjes (boentjes) ['bUntjes], Boltjes (boltes)
>['bOltjes]

>(G) Bonbon(s), (Missingsch) Bontjes, Bontschies
But I'm afraid that is the wrong translation. I think the right one
should be something like Lacorice or Lakritz (the spelling can be
completely wrong). In French it is réglisse.

Regards,

Margot

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Margot van Baalen* wrote about my translation of Zeelandic _druksjes_
(Dutch _dropjes_):

> >(E) (Amer.) (hard) candy, (Brit.) sweets, (Austral.) lollies
>
> >(NLS) Bolten (boltn) ['bO.ltn=], Boltjen (boltjen) ['bO.ltjen], Bontjes
> >(bontjes) ['bOntjes], Buntjes (boentjes) ['bUntjes], Boltjes (boltes)
> >['bOltjes]
>
> >(G) Bonbon(s), (Missingsch) Bontjes, Bontschies
>
> But I'm afraid that is the wrong translation. I think the right one
> should be something like Lacorice or Lakritz (the spelling can be
> completely wrong). In French it is réglisse.

Oh, sorry!  I should have known, because I knew Afrikaans _drop_ with
the same meaning.  So, here we go:

(E) liquorice ~ licorice (pronounced as "lickerish" by many) (This
noun        is usually uncountable; i.e., you can't make a plural form
of it.)

(NLS) Lakritz(e) [lQ'krIts(e)]  (This noun is usually uncountable;
    i.e., you can't make a plural form of it.). I n various dialects of
    Mecklenburg and Western Pomerania (i.e., the northern part of former
    East Germany), and probably also elsewhere, the "nicknames"
    _Muusschiet_ ['mu:sSi:t] ("mouse droppings," cf. the origin of the
    Dutch treat _muisjes_), _Barenschiet_ ~ _Borenschiet_ ['bQ:3nSi:t]
    ("bear droppings"), _Schosterstripp_ ['SoUs3strIp] ~
    _Schausterstripp_ ['SaUst3strIp] ("shoemaker's/cobbler's yarn"),
    or _Ossenbloot_ ['?Osn=,bloUt] ~ _Ossenblaut_ ['?Osn=,blaUt] ("ox
    blood").

(G) Lakritze (This noun is usually uncountable; i.e., you can't make a
    plural form of it.)

The _liquorice_ group of words comes from Old French _licoresse_, which
is derived from Late Latin _liquiritia_ which comes from Greek
_glukurrhiza_ ("sweet root," i.e., _Glycyrrhiza glabra_, German
_Süßholz_ "sweet-wood," from which the edible form is made).

* P.S.: Again, please don't forget to give your first and last names in
your postings, folks, even if they don't appear together in the same
place.