LL-L "Remedies" (was "Lexicon") 2002.01.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 15:40:13 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JAN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.01.28 (07) [E/German]

Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org] wrote:

> I've been coming across the expression "sugarally water"
> in various texts in Scots recently. I can remember my
> grandmother talking about this (she called it "sugarelly
> water", of course), and I think she said it involved
> dissolving liquorice in water somehow. Does anyone know
> the recipe?

Ron subsequently referred to it as being licorice 'tea' or 'tincture'.
It reminded me of something that my grandmother called _schommeldrop_, a
licorice drink obtained by swinging or swaying (_schommelen_) a stick of
 _laurierdrop_ in a certain amount of water. The webiste
<http://www.licorice.org/LicoriceFinder/Laurierdrop/laurierdrop.htm>
gives 'licorice laurel' as a translation for _laurierdrop_.

Preferably the bottle you used for preparing this drink was dark, so a
brown medicine bottle was usually what we used. You put a small piece of
a stick in the water, put the cap on and started turning the bottle over
and over again. When the licorice was completely dissolved, the drink
had to be stored away from the light and could be drunk the next day.
The renewed shaking of the drink caused foam to appear on top of it.

My grandmother always allowed us to make this whenever we had a cold.

Google finds only three occurences of this word, the most interesting
one is at <http://members-2.nl.home.com/jpesebregts/dialecten.htm>. This
list gives the word _zjapke_ as being 'juice of schommeldrop'. It
doesn't explain the word _schommeldrop_ any further.

The author of this website gives a list of words used in the southwest
corner of Brabant. Numerous words in this list can however hardly be
called regional; they occur in the standard as well. Unfortunately he
doesn't say where he grew up. But both the designation 'zuidwesthoek',
the phonetics of the dialectal words and several placenames he does
refer to (_Barege_ for 'Bergen op Zoom', _Ostrecht_ for Ossendrecht),
lead me to believe that the dialectal words come from an area around
Bergen op Zoom. This is somewhat further west than where I grew up
(Etten-Leur, with my father being from Breda, 15 kilometres east of
that; there are noticeable dialectal difference between the two places).

Another site which mentions this word _schommeldrop_ is
<http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/stadium/9165/divo.html>,
maintained by an 18-year-old boy from Dinteloord, a good few kilometres
north, bordering almost on the _Volkerak_, the water dividing the
province Noord-Brabant with the island of Goeree-Overflakkee, belonging
to the province Zuid-Holland.

Those interested in the geography of the places mentioned, can look them
up at the following URLs:
* Bergen op Zoom:
<http://www.zoekplaats.nl/zoekplaats/cgi/waar.pl?actie=plaats&zoek=bergen
+op+zoom>