LL-L "Resources" 2002.01.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 23:01:55 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JAN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Resources"

Lowlanders,

I'm not going to make a habit of reporting everything I do
on this new grammar site of mine, but since I know that some
list members are working on Scots grammars, textbooks and
primers at the moment, I thought the latest page might be
worth a mention.

It's a list of the "First Thousand Words" in Scots (actually
it stands at 987 at the moment!), arranged in order of frequency.
These were sampled from all of the texts in Scots currently
available on ScotsteXt, so it's a pretty good sampling, but
due to the non-standard nature of the spellings it's not
feasible to quote exact statistical frequencies.

However, I imagine it will prove very useful for anyone
preparing teaching materials in Scots, for generating example
sentences and checking for good coverage of common words.

It's at:

http://sandyfleemin.org/grammar/semantics/frequentwirds.asp

Sandy
http://scotstext.org